There are many questions concerning the ownership and use of a silencer or noise suppressor on your firearms. Here are answers to the most frequently asked questions.
1. Is it legal to own a silencer?
You must be at least 21 years old
You must live in a state that allows ownership
You must not have any felony convictions
2. Which states allow silencer ownership?
Of the remaining states; CA may allow silencer ownership for people in possession of a valid FFL.
3. Do I need a special license to own a silencer?
4. Do I give up any rights when I buy a silencer? (Will the ATF start showing up to search my house?)
This often comes up because of the mistaken belief that a “Class 3″ license is required to purchase a suppressor. A “Class 3″ license is a dealer license – and the ATF absolutely can show up to search a dealer’s premises; but, silencer buyers don’t give up any rights at all.
5. Can I use one silencer for multiple firearms?
6. Can I use one silencer for multiple calibers?
Click here to read more about the pros & cons of Versatility vs Efficiency in firearm suppressors.
7. What is the difference between a suppressor and a silencer?
There is no difference; these are just different words for the same thing.
The word “Silencer” is the legal term; but, either “sound suppressor”, or just “suppressor”, is more technically accurate since they don’t actually silence the firearm. You can use either term with us and we’ll promise not to care. 🙂
If you’re interested in more information on the Silencer vs Suppressor debate, be sure to read this Silencer Blog information.
8. How quiet is a suppressed firearm?
9. How will a silencer attach to my firearm(s)?
Once again, this depends on the firearm and the suppressor. The most popular methods include the following:
Some silencers will thread directly onto a threaded barrel
Some silencers require a quick-detach device (like a flash hider, muzzle brake or piston)
Some silencers are built into the firearm itself, providing an integral suppressor
10. How long does it take to register a suppressor?
This can vary widely depending on several factors. You can check out this page to see up-to-date statistics for what we’re getting back at the moment; although, times definitely fluctuate, so it’s likely your wait won’t be exactly the same.
Check out our “Silencer Blog” page, or contact us if you have specific questions on the silencer purchasing or registration process.